Lavender is a plant that needs almost no introduction. It has been used for hundreds of years to treat everything from migraines, anxiety, and stress to burns, acne, and skin problems. It is one of the few essential oils that is safe for just about everyone. And it is one of the few essential oils that is generally safe to use undiluted.
If you are lucky enough to have lavender oil in your house (it is a "must-have" for any natural first-aid kit), here are the top 7 uses of this versatile oil.
1. Helps treat acne. Lavender oil has anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties that can fight bacteria that cause acne and inflammation. Simply dab some lavender oil on the affected area. Recommended product: French lavender essential oil.
2. Heals burns. The benefits of lavender oil for treating burns was discovered by accident. A scientist who had suffered burns as a result of a fire accidentally immersed his hand in a bucket of lavender oil instead of a bucket of water. He noticed that the burn healed in half the normal time, with minimal scarring. In addition, lavender oil acts as a pain reliever. Just add a few drops of lavender oil to the burnt area after keeping it under cold water for 10 minutes. However, keep in mind that in the case of serious burns, you should consult a doctor immediately. Recommended product: Lavender essential oil roll-on.
3. Can help heal insect bites. Dab a few drops of lavender oil on the insect bite, and see the itching and swelling decrease significantly. Lavender oil can also be used as an insect repellent. Do use caution when treating children - lavender oil in its pure form should not be used on children under the age of 2. Recommended product: Lavender essential roll-on, Lavender body spray.
4. Treating tired muscles. After a long day, nothing feels better than a good massage or hot bath. You can prepare a lavender bath by using a bath bomb containing lavender oil, or adding 4 - 6 drops of lavender oil, or even using lavender bubble bath. For targeted muscle relief, a pillow filled with warmed lavender is extremely soothing. Recommended product: French lavender bath bombs. Lavender bubble bath, Lavender hot/cold eye pillow.
5. Treating insomnia. Lavender essential oil is considered a traditional medicine to promote restful sleep. The scent of lavender induces alpha waves in the area of the brain responsible for relaxation, which helps you fall asleep faster. Recommended product: Lavender spray, French lavender essential oil (for use with a diffuser), Lavender bath products, assorted.
6. Treating anxiety and depression. Lavender essential oil is effective in treating anxiety and depression with its calming, sedative, and anti-convulsive effects. It is often used in herbal remedies for promoting relaxation and treating restlessness. Recommended products: Lavender teas, assorted, Lavender spray, Lavender essential roll-on.
7. Treating migraine and other headaches. Lavender is effective in providing relief from migraine headaches and preventing the onset of new headaches. Massaging your temples, neck, and forehead with lavender oil relieves neck and head tension, and promotes relaxation. Recommended products: Lavender hot/cold eye pillow, Lavender body oil, Lavender spray, Lavender essential roll-on.
All of the recommended products are available in our online store, or in our store located at 38 Water Street, Saint John.